Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Review: The Devouring



Title: The Devouring
Series: The Devouring # 1
Genre: Young Adult-Paranormal/Supernatural
Author: Simon Holt
Publisher: Little Brown
Release Date: Sept 1, 2008
Book: Bought



"When Reggie finds an old journal and reads about the Vours, supernatural creatures who feast on fear and attack on the eve of the winter solstice, she assumes they are just the musings of some lunatic author. But soon, they become a terrifying reality when she begins to suspect that her timid younger brother might be one of their victims.

Risking her life and her sanity, Reggie enters a living nightmare to save the people she loves. Can she devour her own fears before they devour her?"

What a way to scare the crap out of me! I must say, this book was awesome! Lots of fear, adrenaline, and pure excitement while I read this. I was also glad that I read this book during the day. To read this at night will sure bring me nightmares.

The paranormal touch to it was one I've seen before, but was played out well within the book. I love how it took us back to past and then thrusting me back to the future again. All the research that Aaron and Reggie did, had me doing a happy dance. I love reading that in a book. Where you read the characters discovering secrets on how to beat this or that. Just awesome.

I love the love and drama in the book. The family goes through so much leaving most of the responsibilities on Reggie. Reggie being a teenager, who has now has to become a adult. I felt her pain, her anger as to why she had to do it. I was glad to see her pick up everything with such a great amount of maturity. Her love for her brother was breathtaking and refreshing. She sacrafice everything she should to help save his life. Truly selfless.

I was angery at her father on how he handled things. I admit I felt for him too. I understood his pain, but he still had a reponsiblitty to his children and for him to check out like that just made me angry. Aaron was a refreshing touch. He was a great buffer in things and is always there for Reggie. I have no doubt that maybe there might me something between Reggie and him in future books.

 Now Mr. Eben. He is a character that left me speechless and curious. My eyes narrowed in the book when he was there all of the sudden. I wondered what part he played? He is someone I definitely can't wait to see what secrets he is hiding.

I give it 5 BITES!


Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you really liked the book. I loved it too. The second book is even better, but less creepier. :) Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)