Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Review: Cloaked

Title: Cloaked
Series: No
Genre: Young Adult-Fantasy
Author: Alex Flinn
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: February 8, 2011
Book: ARC sent by publisher



"Johnny’s not your average hero. But a little magic changes everything. There isn’t a fairy godmother or any of that. It all starts with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot-looking princess. And before Johnny knows it, he is on a mission in the Evergladws, with only a flock of swans and a talking fox named Joe to help guide him against the forces of an evil witch."

This story is a retaling  of The Frog Prince with a twist. I really like the whole concept of the story and how Ms. Flinn modernized it. She did a great job of capturing all of the classic story while mixing in some great new drama.

 Johnny works lots of hours just to help support him and his mom, but when a princess comes into town with a crazy story asking him for help he is not sure what to do. She throws money at him and the promise of marriage if he helps. Knowing that the money and marriage would help his mother and their situation, he agrees to it, seeking out a prince who has turned into a frog. She gives him magically devices to help him on his journey. But what he finds on this journey is what he least expected.

I love classic tales. So when I received this book I knew I loved it. And loved it I did. Johnny was a hard working man who was desperate for money. Being so young and working so many hours just to help with bills really made me admire him. He didn't like it when his mother worried and was very mature for his age.

The classic tale of the frog prince was a good re-tailing. I enjoyed Johnny;'s adventure in seeking the prince. He ran into all crazy animals that spoke, giants, and bad witches. Accompanying on this journey was his best friend Meg, who wasn't all what she seemed. She too also has secrets up her sleeve and only one that really mattered to Johnny.

The love interest in the book was one I found myself disappointed with. While I was glad that Johnny finally realized who he loved, I was upset at the way that she acted. I felt like she was selfish and shouldn't had thrown it at his face like that. But in the end it all work out, so I was happy with that.

I give it 4 BITES!


Happy Reading!

9 comments:

  1. I am jelous you got to read this one before me! I really love Alex Flinn! Really great review, I'm even more exited to read it.

    My beastly guest post went up today if you want to check it out :)

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to this one, I really enjoyed A Kiss in Time and I've always been a fan of classic fairytales. Too bad on the love interest though, I don't like the sound of her throwing his feelings back in his face, but I'm glad it ends well. Nice review Savy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, this sounds like a fun read, although it's a shame that the whole love thing didn't work for you. Nice, solid review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johnny's not stop adventures got to me sometimes, but overall, I really liked this one too, though I have to agree with you on the romance aspect of it.

    Still, a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds really awesome. And that cover is really pretty in its simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this new genre of retelling of Fairy Tales. I think it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I can't wait until this one makes it my way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a cool book. Hope I get a chance to read it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review Savy!

    I gotta give Alex a try, her books sound great! =D

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)