Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Review: The Vespertine

Title: The Vespertine
Series: The Vespertine # 1
Genre: Young Adult- Historical/Fantasy
Author: Saundra Mitchell
Publisher: Harcourt
Release Date: March 7, 2011
Book: ARC sent by publisher


"It’s the summer of 1889, and Amelia van den Broek is new to Baltimore and eager to take in all the pleasures the city has to offer. But her gaiety is interrupted by disturbing, dreamlike visions she has only at sunset—visions that offer glimpses of the future. Soon, friends and strangers alike call on Amelia to hear her prophecies. However, a forbidden romance with Nathaniel, an artist, threatens the new life Amelia is building in Baltimore. This enigmatic young man is keeping secrets of his own—still, Amelia finds herself irrepressibly drawn to him.

When one of her darkest visions comes to pass, Amelia’s world is thrown into chaos. And those around her begin to wonder if she’s not the seer of dark portents, but the cause."

One of my favorite genres is historical fictions. And it works better for me if you add a little paranormal twist in there. Now this book I really like. Amelia is sent to Baltimore to find someone worthy to be a husband. What she finds instead is crowd of people coming to her for her visions. And one boy in particular can hear her in the wind.

I loved the plot of this book. While it was a bit slow in the beginning, it certainly picked up once Amelia visions began to come true. Amelia is a very smart girl who knows whats she wants despite what her brother thinks. Amelia may be different, but she has a spark that anyone can enjoy. 

Nathaniel was like no other boy I have encountered in a book. He, unlike most boys in books, knew where he stood in society and refused to bring Amelia down with him. He wanted better for her. What got me was his lack of confidence in their relationship. Most of the time you see the girl running away, this time we see the guy. Amelia is strong and wanted Nathaniel no matter what.  

The paranormal part was good and I like how it something that can be related to real life. There was no great shown down or great powers. Just Amelia who can see the future, who's life is hanging in the balance of her decisions.

I give it 4 BITES!

Happy Reading! 


 

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this. I loved it! Now, I can't wait to see what the next book in this series will bring since we were left on a cliffhanger of sorts.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read much historical fiction but I have had my eye on this one for a while. The characters sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've seen some not so good reviews of this one, but i'm really glad you liked it b/c i've really been wanting to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that cover is gorgeous - I don't usually pick out books based on that alone, but this one might change my mind - that and the great reviews I'm hearing on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one on my TBR pile. I just haven't gotten to it yet. It looks great though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading this right now, so I'm glad to see that you liked it! The suspense might kill me though :P I can tell the author is building up to something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. YA doesn't do enough historical fiction. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard lots of good things about this one! Too bad I won't get to it before it expires on Netgalley! Grrr...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review. I love historical fiction and I don't read much paranormal. I think I'm going give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooooh great review! I love the cover for this book =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. See, you may me want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems like a good book, I can't wait for it to come out. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  13. I quite enjoyed this one too. I like your point about Nathaniel being the one less confident in the relationship. And as much as I enjoy a good showdown, I did like the ending of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review. I am not a fan of historical fiction but if I decided to read one I would prefer it to have a paranormal element. This one might be worth a try :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)