Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review: Ashfall

Title: Ashfall
Series: Ashfall # 1
Genre: Young Adult- Post Apocalyptic/Dystopian
Author: Mike Mullin
Publisher: Tanglewood Press
Release Date: October 11, 2011
Book:  Netgalley
 

"Under the bubbling hot springs and geysers of Yellowstone National Park is a supervolcano. Most people don't know it's there. The caldera is so large that it can only be seen from a plane or satellite. It just could be overdue for an eruption, which would change the landscape and climate of our planet.
Ashfall is the story of Alex, a teenage boy left alone for the weekend while his parents visit relatives. When the Yellowstone super volcano erupts unexpectedly, Alex is determined to reach his parents. He must travel over a hundred miles in a landscape transformed by a foot of ash and the destruction of every modern convenience that he has ever known, and through a new world in which disaster has brought out both the best and worst in people desperate for food, water, and warmth. With a combination of nonstop action, a little romance, and very real science, this is a story that is difficult to stop reading and even more difficult to forget."


As I began this book, I was just overwhelmed with the amazing writing in this book. Every single word is explicit, showing and letting the reader feel everything of Ashfall. Not only did Mr. Mullin created such a world that anyone can step into, he brought his writing to life like I have never seen before.

What I liked most about this book is the great plot line. I loved that it is based on real facts on something that could happen. As the reader, you are immersed in the city full of ashes, the smoking burning through your nostrils and the thrill of a journey to come.

Mr. Mullins characters are so powerfully written. I loved that they grew tremendously before your eyes. They  are no longer teens, but men and women trying to survive in the new world. Mr. Mullin brought out the fierceness and animalistic traits in humans yearning for food, shelter, and medicine. At first, while I was reading this, I thought,"No, this can't be." But oh yes, it indeed was. There were some gruesome scenes, but it is all to be expected in this world.

My final thought is ,"No. Please don't be over yet!" I wanted more. I needed more. This story definitely left a burning hole in my chest of what is to come of this author. Should you read it! YES! I recommend this book for 16+. There are some mature scenes. Ashfall is beautiful, darkly written book of a future we could have. One that will have you thinking twice about what out future could look like. Right after reading this book as I closed it I said," Babe, I think we should make fall out shelter."

I give it 5 BITES!


Happy Reading!



5 comments:

  1. Gotta love anything with amazing writing. And I love books where the characters really grow. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! I really want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I have this one on my list waiting to be read and I can't wait! I've heard it's fabulous and your review just confirms that further:) Awesome review Savy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen this all over the blogosphere. So glad that it rocked for you. Oh I love it when you hate a book to end. I'm so upping this one on the wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! This does sound phenomenal! You have my interest. =)

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)