Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Review: Lockdown

Title: Lockdown
Series: Escape from Furnace # 1
Genre: Young Adult- Dystopian
Author: Alexander Gordon Smith
Publisher: Farrar Straus Giroux
Release Date: October 27, 2009
Book: FC sent by publisher

"Furnace Penitentiary: the world’s most secure prison for young offenders, buried a mile beneath the earth’s surface. Convicted of a murder he didn’t commit, sentenced to life without parole, “new fish” Alex Sawyer knows he has two choices: find a way out, or resign himself to a death behind bars, in the darkness at the bottom of the world. Except in Furnace, death is the least of his worries. Soon Alex discovers that the prison is a place of pure evil, where inhuman creatures in gas masks stalk the corridors at night, where giants in black suits drag screaming inmates into the shadows, where deformed beasts can be heard howling from the blood-drenched tunnels below. And behind everything is the mysterious, all-powerful warden, a man as cruel and dangerous as the devil himself, whose unthinkable acts have consequences that stretch far beyond the walls of the prison. Together with a bunch of inmates—some innocent kids who have been framed, others cold-blooded killers—Alex plans an escape. But as he starts to uncover the truth about Furnace’s deeper, darker purpose, Alex’s actions grow ever more dangerous, and he must risk everything to expose this nightmare that’s hidden from the eyes of the world."

This is book is great! I thought it would be much more scarier but no. Instead it was intense, mind-reeling great book. I enjoyed it more than what I thought I would.

We meet Alex who has been wrongfully imprisoned. Through the plot, the reader runs with Alex as he is trying to escape the furnace. In the furnace, Alex is quick to learns the in and out of things. Even I  was doing my best to catch up with rules and trying to survive! I loved that the plot never once backed down. The plot just kept spinning around the winner bringing to a place of hot fury.

Fury? Why yes? Being wrongfully imprisoned changed Alex before the reader. He is no longer the stupid boy but now a man trying to survive. I loved how strong and bold he got. He never ceased to amaze me. He spied, broke rules, and is determined to escape.

Mr. Gordan has intrigued me with the world he created. Greatly written, I entered the world of The Furnace and rooted for Alex. Will he escape. Only the next book will know. Which I am going to get  ASAP! Lockdown is an amazing book written to a degree I can not describe. I can still fill the hot air surrounding me as I write this review. Definitely pick up this book. If you want to be completely in the dark, air so hot and humid you can't breath,with your heart racing to escape, read this.

I give it 4 BITES!

Happy Reading!



5 comments:

  1. That cover is freaking me out! I'm not sure if this one would be for me, but I loved your review & glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds pretty cool! I saw it a few weeks ago on Goodreads but didn't look into it much. It sounds like a fun, exciting story. Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this book and it's so good. You root for him all through the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the header and the sig!

    Oh I have been wanting to read this one so much!! I do want to have all those emotions. I love it when a book sweeps you away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I hadn't heard of this book before but reading the summary and your review makes me excited for it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)