Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Review: While He Was Away

Title: While He Was Away
Series: No
Genre: Young Adult- Contemporary
Author: Karen Schreck
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: May 1, 2012
Book: Netgalley


"This is just something I have to do, okay?" I hear David say. "The right thing."

He cradles my face in his hands. He kisses me hard. Then he lets go of me. His eyes dart from me to whatever's next.


All she wants is for him to stay. She's been doing pretty well, pretending he doesn't have to go. But one day, after one last night to remember, she wakes up and there's no denying it anymore. He's gone.

When Penna Weaver's boyfriend goes off to Iraq, she's left facing life without him. As summer sets in, Penna tries to distract herself with work and her art, but the not knowing is slowly driving her crazy. Especially when David stops writing.

She knows in her heart he will come home. But will he be the same boy she fell in love with?"

 When I started reading this book I knew exactly where it was going. This book took me buy surprise with the changes of the characters. It certainly was not what I expected it to be but instead made me long for more.

What I loved most about this book are the characters. The reader meets to characters that are in love with major life changes coming along. When I read books like this, I always read from the guys point of view. Never have I read a book where we see what it is like for the girl who is left behind. I like that. I like seeing her everyday life and the hardship it is of being a military girlfriend. She did what she could to help him. The stress of her waiting for bad news at any moment really takes a toll of her too. 

What caught me off guard most is the relationship change of the book. I was expecting something but I wasn't expecting THAT! When it all happen, I felt like I was the one being let go. The author took a great amount of time for the reader to be invested that my heart broke with the news. I felt like I lost something. If any author can make me feel like that, then the book stole my heart.

My only gripe about the story is, I feel like their story is not done. There are still a lot of questions I would like answered and would loved to see where the characters went. 

While He Was Away is a amazing story of love and lost. One with plot twist that will tear at your heart. Told  with a passion that capture readers, While He Was Away is amazing!

I give it 4 BITES!


Happy Reading!



3 comments:

  1. Awwww this sounds like it would be a really good read. I'm glad that you liked it however sucks that you were left with questions. Wonder if they will be doing a sequel or like a companion for this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it was so good. Sounds like a great love story. Oh and can I say I want his bike?

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)