Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Friday, July 20, 2012

Review: The Blood Keeper

Title: The Blood Keeper 
Series: The Blood Journals # 2
Genre: Young Adult- Paranormal/Fantasy
Author: Tessa Gratton
Publisher: Random House
Release Date: August 28, 2012
Book: Netgalley 


"Paranormal romance fans who are looking to up the ante will be drawn to this tale of horror, fantasy, and romance. For Mab Prowd, the practice of blood magic is as natural as breathing. It's all she's ever known. Growing up on an isolated farm in Kansas with other practitioners may have kept her from making friends her own age, but it has also given her a sense of purpose—she's connected to the land and protective of the magic. And she is able to practice it proudly and happily out in the open with only the crows as her companions. Mab will do anything to keep the ancient practice alive and guard its secrets. But one morning while she is working out a particularly tricky spell she encounters Will, a local boy who is trying to exorcise some mundane personal demons. He experiences Mab's magic in a way his mind cannot comprehend and is all too happy to end their chance meeting. But secrets that were kept from Mab by the earlier generations of blood magicians have come home to roost. And she and Will are drawn back together, time again by this dangerous force looking to break free from the earth and reclaim its own dark power."


Alright, I went into this book expecting a continuation of the story from the first book Blood Magic.
That is not the case. This is the same world different characters. After a while and finally getting into it, I was able to get into the story and enjoy it. Because I was under the wrong impression, it took my a while to understand where the characters are coming from and how they relate to Silla and Nick. The connection is made but not till the end. Still, as the reader I was still a but confused through the story.

Now, the plot flowed nicely. Once I was in the story, I was able to fall into the plot quickly. Here we have a girl who knows her magic, with a boy who is messing with it and has no idea what doors he is opening. I like that Mab is feisty yet loyal. She helps Will despite her warnings to him and even figures out what is wrong with him. In the mean time, there is another story being told from the past that relates to the current situation. I enjoyed this part the most. I like how well it came together in the end.

Their love and friendship is built over trials that made them stronger. I liked them watching them fight for each other no matter what the cost. 

The Blood Keeper is simple yet amazing. With loads of secrets and magic lurking around every corner, the story held my interest. The Blood Keeper is great read.

I give it 3 BITES!


Happy Reading!


3 comments:

  1. I've had the first book in this series for some time now and for some reason I keep saying I will read it and never do. Not sure if I want to start this series now though...

    Your review was great, but I don't like when a book doesn't continue where it left off :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see how expecting this second book to be a continuation of the first would make things tricky when completely new characters are the focus. Glad to know that upfront so it won't be a problem. Glad you enjoyed it overall Savy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm... confusion isn't so good for a second one in the series. I'm glad you finally got into it and it seemed to take off for you. At least now I'm warned.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)