Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Review: Monstrous Beauty

Title: Monstrous Beauty
Series: No
Genre: Young Adult- Fantasy/Paranormal
Author: Elizabeth Fama
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
Release Date: September 4, 2012
Book: ARC sent by publisher


"Fierce, seductive mermaid Syrenka falls in love with Ezra, a young naturalist. When she abandons her life underwater for a chance at happiness on land, she is unaware that this decision comes with horrific and deadly consequences.
Almost one hundred forty years later, seventeen-year-old Hester meets a mysterious stranger named Ezra and feels overwhelmingly, inexplicably drawn to him. For generations, love has resulted in death for the women in her family. Is it an undiagnosed genetic defect . . . or a curse? With Ezra’s help, Hester investigates her family’s strange, sad history. The answers she seeks are waiting in the graveyard, the crypt, and at the bottom of the ocean—but powerful forces will do anything to keep her from uncovering her connection to Syrenka and to the tragedy of so long ago."

With all the amazing books coming out lately, I am especially excited about this one. I love a good mermaid story that has a special twist on it.

What I enjoyed most about this book is the great back round history to it. Stories that flow back to the past, leaving the reader piece by pieces only intrigued me more. I love seeing the present as well as getting that flashback to the past matching it with what is going on today. Lots of the back round history in the book has affected generation after generation. It's good to see one person in the family seeking out the answers that were never found.

With that said, the plot twist in the book is awesome. Most mermaid stories follow the same rules, but this world played by their own rules. I enjoyed the different circumstances of being a mermaid. The consequences that followed them is harsh. Yet, as the reader, all I wanted to do is bring them some kind of peace.

The love interest as well played out differently than what I thought. Unique and entertaining, I was no other but hooked to follow to the end. I am amazed of how well the past flowed to the future. It weaved beautifully, leaving me giddy.

Monstrous Beauty is a an well constructed story. Beautifully woven, Monstrous Beauty is written wonderfully. The stunning world building with great plot, Monstrous Beauty is great.

I give it 4 BITES!

Happy Reading!


3 comments:

  1. I also love books with a good background. Makes it feel more real. I'm not a fan of the cover though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I haven't had the best luck with mermaid books, but I think I might actually enjoy this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SWEET! I've got this one and can't wait to "dive" into it. *snort* So glad you enjoyed it. BTW.. WHY did they change the cover? I liked the old one much better.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)