Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Review: Shadowfell

Title: Shadowfell
Series: Shadowfell # 1
Genre: Young Adult- Fantasy
Author: Juliet Marillier
Publisher: Knopf Books For Young Readers
Release Date: September 11, 2012
Book: Edelweiss


"Sixteen-year-old Neryn is alone in the land of Alban, where the oppressive king has ordered anyone with magical strengths captured and brought before him. Eager to hide her own canny skill—a uniquely powerful ability to communicate with the fairy-like Good Folk—Neryn sets out for the legendary Shadowfell, a home and training ground for a secret rebel group determined to overthrow the evil King Keldec.
During her dangerous journey, she receives aid from the Good Folk, who tell her she must pass a series of tests in order to recognize her full potential. She also finds help from a handsome young man, Flint, who rescues her from certain death—but whose motives in doing so remain unclear. Neryn struggles to trust her only allies. They both hint that she alone may be the key to Alban’s release from Keldec’s rule.
Homeless, unsure of who to trust, and trapped in an empire determined to crush her, Neryn must make it to Shadowfell not only to save herself, but to save Alban."

Another great fantasy book that took me a little longer to get into. Once I was completely immersed in the story, I allowed myself to be guided by a great adventure.

The beginning of the book is intense. I love a strong beginning and that is what the reader gets. Immediately you feel strong emotions once you are in Neryn shoes. She carries a dark secret and just wants to be okay. Neryn is a strong fascinating character. Despite what is done to her, she is naive or shall we say innocent and believes there is goodness in everyone. I think some people may see her at gullible but I think she just wants to have hope. Many times she makes the same mistakes over and over but really, she wants a change. At times I am frustrated with the character but at other times, I just want her to be okay.

The plot of the book is great. The middle part sort of lagged for me but once I reached the middle-end that is where the pace picks up again. Neryn is faced with a raging war and has to make many choices. Along the way, she of course falls in love. This brings some peace to the story also adding more drama. Still, I love the fact that they fought over their feelings. The tension it gave made me giddy!

The historical elements to the story as well as the fantasy parts, is quickly addicting. Once everything about Neryn and the secret society is out in the open, I could wait for more!

Shadowfell is a great start in this series. With amazing world building, the plot gets strong and better. If you share an appetite for a story full of action, love, and betrayal, Shadowfell is just for you!

I give it 3 BITES!

Happy Reading!


7 comments:

  1. Ooooo never heard of this one Savy! Too bad the middle lags a bit after such a strong beginning, but I'm glad it picks up at the end and finishes strong. The world sounds awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHUT UP! You've never heard of Shadowfell? Oh, Jenny, please tell me you've at least heard of Juliet Marillier! You must've!

      Delete
  2. OMG! I love J. Marillier! I didn't even know she had a YA book out! Yay! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I TOTALLY agree. I really enjoyed this book but it was a bit slow at times and tougher to get into. It wasn't exactly a book that demanded the reader's attention.

    I will def read the next books though! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm... not sure this one is for me. Sometimes I just can't handle a frustrating character. At lest there were some great qualities to the book too. Thanks for the great balanced review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to read Marillier's books. I can see how they might be a little slow at times. Still, a solid author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shadowfell is the YA title I'm most excited about for the fall. I loved Wildwood Dancing--and many of JM's adult fantasies. I think she's an amazing writer--and you're right, she's a phenomenal world-builder. I think that probably makes for the slow beginning, though.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)