Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Review: The Sweetest Dark

Title: The Sweetest Dark
Series: No
Genre: Young Adult-Paranormal/Fantasy
Author: Shanna Abe
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group
Release Date: April 2, 2013
Book: Netgalley

“With every fiber of my being, I yearned to be normal. To glide through my days at Iverson without incident. But I’d have to face the fact that my life was about to unfold in a very, very different way than I’d ever envisioned. Normal would become forever out of reach.”
Lora Jones has always known that she’s different. On the outside, she appears to be an ordinary sixteen-year-old girl. Yet Lora’s been keeping a heartful of secrets: She hears songs that no one else can hear, dreams vividly of smoke and flight, and lives with a mysterious voice inside her that insists she’s far more than what she seems.
England, 1915. Raised in an orphanage in a rough corner of London, Lora quickly learns to hide her unique abilities and avoid attention. Then, much to her surprise, she is selected as the new charity student at Iverson, an elite boarding school on England’s southern coast. Iverson’s eerie, gothic castle is like nothing Lora has ever seen. And the two boys she meets there will open her eyes and forever change her destiny.
Jesse is the school’s groundskeeper—a beautiful boy who recognizes Lora for who and what she truly is. Armand is a darkly handsome and arrogant aristocrat who harbors a few closely guarded secrets of his own. Both hold the answers to her past. One is the key to her future. And both will aim to win her heart. As danger descends upon Iverson, Lora must harness the powers she’s only just begun to understand, or else lose everything she dearly loves."
This is a completely different book that what I thought. I liked that! I enjoyed going on a journey that is not what I thought it would be. Nice plot twist :)

Now, what I enjoyed the most is the plot twist. With a young girl holding secrets, as the reader, I am excited to see what her destiny holds for her. The plot alone of a new girl at a boarding school always intrigues me. Not to mention that right off the bat, she is interesting. Once in her shoes, I knew I liked her.

There is a love triangle in the book. Both guys are honorable and completely different. Each guy brought a whole new aspect to what is really going on and what secret they held as well. As the reader, they each hold a part of this girl in who she is to become. Of course, I did lean toward one guy. He got me from the very beginning.

The ending of the book was quite...unexpected. I was sure it would end one way, but no. The author threw in a different spin that made me want more!

The Sweetest Dark is a great story that can captivate any reader! With amazing world building and great characters, I enjoyed it very much. Beautifully written, The Sweetest Dark is great!

I give it 4 BITES!

Happy Reading!


3 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this one, but it sounds great! I like the love triangle features two great guys who both support and encourage the girl. Too many YA novels have a love triangle that features the bad boy and the good guy.

    Oh! Paper Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh this sounds good and that cover!!! I hadn't heard of it before too but it sounds like it's well written even despite the love triangle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh a great ending spin... and I have to say I love that cover! I also haven't heard of this one before, so thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)