Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Review: What's Left Of Me

Title: What's Left Of Me
Series: The Hybrid Chronicles # 1
Genre: Young Adult-Science Fiction/Dystopian
Author: Kat Zhang
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: September 18, 2012
Book: ARC sent by publisher


"Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t…
For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable–hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet…for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything."

Now this is a peculiar book. After reading the synopsis, I wasn't sure what to think other than it intrigued me.

If you know me, then you know by now that I like books that are out-of-the-box. I like stories that are new and fresh. Similar plot lines begin to repeat and bore me. This book is FANTASTIC! The elements weaved into the characters, the crispness of the book left me wanting more. From the first chapter, it's a never-ending  sea of mystery. Why are people born like this? What happens to those who do not settle? Is it wrong? Or is it a new era? All of these questions and more, left my mind reeling.

I have never gone into a book where the love interest is...awkward. Awkward in a good way. I have to admit that this love interest is most definitely new and innovative. At first, I was unsure of how exactly it would work but after reading the chapters and getting into it, I found myself settling in their shoes. And then I laughed. Cause once I settled and knew the characters, I enjoyed the story so much more.

The characters of the book are way different. Even though they are in one body, the personalities stand out. I know that most people when reading this might feel weird, but I assure you, you will  not get confused or feel bereft. I can not wait to see what the author has in store for these characters.

What's Left Of Me is an spellbinding start. Once in the story, you can't help but feel the pull of the characters. Each chapter is well-constructed to pull the reader deeper. And the conclusion delivers a grand feeling of giddiness. What's Left Of Me is awesome!

I give it 4 BITES!

Happy Reading!

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I would even consider reading this, but from the way you described it, I think I just might look into it. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The synopsis intrigues me too! Great review, Savannah, I cannot wait to read What's Left of Me, especially after your review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that synopsis is crazy! I am adding this to my TBR list right now :)

    Sarah
    That Bookish Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds really interesting. And weird, but I also like original plots. I'm glad you really like this book. I love the cover so I know I'll read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to see such a positive review for this novel. Zhang has been on my radar for the last few months and I was wondering when reviews would start trickling in. I've never seen an awkward love interest so, that should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely looking forward to this. And I can only imagine how the romance might be awkward. :) Hehe. Great review!

    Randi @ Cardigans, Coffee and Bookmarks

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)