Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Review: Spark

Title: Spark
Series: Sky Chasers # 2
Genre: Young Adult-Dystopian/Sci-Fi
Author: Amy Kathleen Ryan
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: July 17, 2012
Book: ARC sent by publisher






"Waverly and Kieran are finally reunited on the Empyrean. Kieran has led the boys safely up to this point, and now that the girls are back, their mission seems slightly less impossible: to chase down the New Horizon, and save their parents from the enemy ship. But nothing is truly as it seems…Kieran’s leadership methods have raised Seth’s hackles— and Waverly’s suspicions. Is this really her fiancĂ©? The handsome, loving boy she was torn from just a short time before? More and more, she finds her thoughts aligned with Seth’s. But if Seth is Kieran’s Enemy No. 1, what does that make her?
In one night, a strange explosion rocks the Empyrean—shooting them off course and delaying their pursuit of the New Horizon—and Seth is mysteriously released from the brig. Seth is the most obvious suspect for the explosion, and Waverly the most obvious suspect for releasing him. As the tension reaches a boiling point, will Seth be able to find the true culprit before Kieran locks them both away—or worse? Will Waverly follow her heart, even if it puts lives at risk? With the balance of power precarious and the clock ticking, every decision counts… every step brings them closer to a new beginning, or a sudden end..."
After reading the first book, I was intrigued. GLOW gave the reader a good insight on space travels along with action. Spark, amped it up A LOT! For me, the second installment of the series blew me away and I want MORE!

What I enjoyed most about this book is the plot. Once you start the book, your immediately back on the shuttle facing hard decisions. The kids are gutting restless. They want their parents. Kids are no longer kids, the are playing the parts of adults, doing their best not to overwhelm each other. The few older kids that they do have are loosing it quickly. It becomes apparent right in the beginning that there is lots of anger, hurt, loss etc. Literally, the emotions are flowing seamlessly off the page and into my heart. I felt for them. That is a lot of responsibility to bear. And the weight of it, is far too much for one to handle. Of course with kids, power play comes into the game. Kids are spreading rumors fast and want answers. There few tense chapters really got my mind thinking.

The love interest left off bitter and angry. I know huh? What a change from normal book?!? Still, I like that these two that despite their differences they did what they could for the sake of others. I believe both their hearts are in the right place, just too much of it is getting lost in translation. Kerian is not the same but forced to grow up fast. He is doing his best to keep everyone calm and is losing sight of what his mission is quickly. Waverly is the mediator. She steps in and helps Kerian see that maybe his decisions aren't the best. Now, their is another guy who steps into the picture. It's not a love triangle cause it's pretty clear what happen. Trust me when I say I really, really love this!

The ending for me is the best part. The plot played out nicely moving fast with action, explosions, then a heart-breaking, angry moment that left me so giddy in my chair that I giggled!! OMG! It's such a good hangover, that I could not stop smiling.

Spark ignites a trail of irresistible energy that pulls you into deep space. All the fantasy elements are a delicious treat when it comes to your imagination.  Wonderfully crafted with a revelation that surprises the reader, Spark is downright sensational!

I give it 5 BITES!

Happy Reading!


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this one too. Loved the plotting, and loved the way she took the love triangle and twisted it all around. A really fun read!

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)