Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Review: The Steam Mole

Title:The Steam Mole
Series: Cuttlefish #2
Genre: Young Adult- Steampunk
Author: Dave Freer
Publisher: PYR
Release Date: January 1, 2012
Book: ARC sent by publisher








Steampunk adventure with an environmental point. After a daring chase across the globe, Tim Barnabas and Clara Calland have brought Clara's scientist father's secret formula to Westralia. Here, much of Australia is simply too hot to be habitable by day. Duke Malcolm, of the Imperial Security Service, transports Claras rebel-father to a prison in Eastern Australia, hoping to bait her into attempting a rescue. Clara looks to Tim for help, only to find he has fled a racist incident into the desert. She takes a burrowing machine know as a "steam mole" in search of him. The two head to Eastern Australia, where they discover an invading force with plans to take Westralia.





After reading the first book, I wanted to see what next adventure awaitied our characters and how this new genre that I stumbled upon has took a hold of me. There were some things I wished were more present throughout the book but it was a book I held onto waiting to see what was next.

What I love most about authors was where they are able to write chapters that switch between the different characters. It is nice to see what they are thinking about situations they face. However, I found myself confused every now and then and I didn't know who's mind I was in at the moment. 

This book felt like it was missing aspects of the genre. I felt that the women in this book were not that "out there." And instead the book's focus was on another era. 

Dave Freer's book has the making of an great book  and maybe this book was just not for me but it may be for someone else. So I recommend this book to everyone and maybe this book can be your next favorite read. 






5 comments:

  1. I struggle when the book switches back and forth between a lot of characters too Chayse. One or two and I'm fine, but more than that and I start to lose focus and things just sort of go downhill from there. Sorry it wasn't for you, but lovely review:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm... not sure I'd love it, but it might make it to the library book pile eventually. I do like steampunk and I like the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if this one is for me, but very helpful review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too bad this one wasn't as good as the first. I get confused with changes in POV sometimes too, I tend to forget to look even when they are well labeled. I hope to read the first one someday so hopefully I like it enough to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like books with alternating points of view. But it definitely can get confusing. I'll have to check out this series.

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)