Review: The Darkest Minds Review: Chasers Review: Cornered Review: Finale Review: Leopard Moon

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Review: The Farm

Title: The Farm
Series: The Farm # 1
Genre: Young Adult-Dystopia/Sci-Fi
Author: Emily McKay
Publisher: Berkley Trade
Release Date: December 4, 2012
Book: FC sent by publisher



"Life was different in the Before: before vampires began devouring humans in a swarm across America; before the surviving young people were rounded up and quarantined. These days, we know what those quarantines are—holding pens where human blood is turned into more food for the undead monsters, known as Ticks. Surrounded by electrical fences, most kids try to survive the Farms by turning on each other…
And when trust is a thing of the past, escape is nearly impossible.
Lily and her twin sister Mel have a plan. Though Mel can barely communicate, her autism helps her notice things no one else notices—like the portion of electrical fence that gets turned off every night. Getting across won’t be easy, but as Lily gathers what they need to escape, a familiar face appears out of nowhere, offering to help…
Carter was a schoolmate of Lily’s in the Before. Managing to evade capture until now, he has valuable knowledge of the outside world. But like everyone on the Farm, Carter has his own agenda, and he knows that behind the Ticks is an even more dangerous threat to the human race..."

 
Very interesting book. Very interesting indeed.

Initially, going into this book I thought I had it all figured out. Boy was I wrong.  Instead, I got a more in depth, complicate story that turn out to be quite beautiful. The plot of the book is nothing like the synopsis cause it go farther and deeper that what the reader is told. Which I really liked. I liked that the story kept me on my toes as well as entertained. I loved reading more into the characters as well as learning more about their history.

Now the main characters, Lily and Mel as phenomenal. I love their relationship as well as the survival tactics. Their both immensely smart and protective of one another. Like Mel, my son also has ASD and well, I think the author did a great job in her research about Autism. The point of view does switch quite a bit between the two but I didn't mind it. I like seeing the sides from both girls and seeing what they are thinking/feeling.

The love interest is what I expected with well a lot of betrayal. At the beginning, I admit that I hated the guy. He has been lying about his motives from the start and I quickly caught on. Towards the ends, I'm not sure how to feel. I want to trust the guy but it just that, he lied so much I can't. I guess I have to read the next and see if he is able to re-gained my heart.

The Farm is fresh yet complex. It offers a new world, new rules that you must learn to play in order to survive.  It's one of those books that you can read and think about afterwards. The history to the story and where it's going it whats keep me hooked. Innovative and different, The Farm is wonderful!

I give it 4 BITES!



Happy Reading!



3 comments:

  1. Omg this sounds so good and I've been wanting to read it for ages! Sounds like it has amazing characters too! Awesome review, doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds really awesome!! I was really excited for it, but then I didn't really see many reviews for it so I kind of forgot about it. I'm happy that you liked it. I will read it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yay! I've had this book since 2012 due to a giveaway and STILL haven't read it. But now I'm even more excited to pick it up because I love books that will surprise you with its beauty and depth. It just sounds great, love the review!

    Sunny @ Blue Sky Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete

Hello lovely reader! Thanks for commenting! I enjoying reading what you have to say :) I have turn on the comment mod due to a large amount of spam. Thanks :)